Thursday, May 3, 2012

FYI

Due to the nature of my current position, I feel like the need to make sure I’m covered in terms of health insurance!
I did a little research and found that “a person can travel temporarily outside of Ontario and within Canada and continue to receive OHIP coverage (with some restrictions)." Apparently, as long I am physically present in Ontario for 153 days, I’m good! “Typically this coverage (while out-of-province but within Canada) is for physician and hospital services only”
If a private health facility service is required however, I will have to cover the costs myself or rely on travel insurance. Otherwise, for physician and public hospital services, you need only to find out whether they bill Ontario directly and if they do participate in a “reciprocal hospital billing agreement”
Interesting!
So for anyone interested in travelling within Canada for a little while, I suggest you read this:
Studying, Working or Travelling to Another Province or Territory Within Canada

And then, I suggest you read THIS:

Why bother with travel insurance if you're a Canadian travelling within Canada?


It explains that "ambulance services, prescribed medications and long-term care services may only be partially covered depending on the circumstances"
"In the event of tragedy, you will "submit for consideration" the costs associated with your treatment to your particular Provincial or Territorial Health Ministry. They will decide the extent of your re-imbursement"

Hmm sounds too risky. Travel insurance it is!

1 comment: