Monday, November 7, 2011

Yays and Nays....

Phew! I think this may be the first time I've said this, but thank goodness it's Monday!
The weekend usually throws me off my daily routine and i'm ok with it. I deal. But this weekend felt unusually long...
I had an amazing Saturday night though! Caroline (a great friend I met at my yoga studio who is a raw food guru) invited me to the 8th annual Halloween party at 5 Star Ranch in Milton. A little late, but man, can they throw a party!! Everyone was in costume, there was a band and DJ and the decor was fantastic! I understand why guests return every year.
We were all asked to bring something to share so I went with a favourite recipe of mine! All credit is given to Karen, my brother-in-laws mum. She used to make this at family gatherings and it was always a hit. And since its fall, I figured nothing says Halloween better than a deconstructed caramel apple.


Karens Famous Apple Dip

1 pkg of Cream Cheese
3/4 cup of Brown Sugar
1 container of Caramel (usually small tubs can be found in the produce isle)
Skor bits (about 1/3 - 1/2 the pkg)
Sliced apples - I prefer Granny Smith, but you can choose your fall favourite.

Combine cream cheese and brown sugar and beat until blended. Spread the bottom of a baking dish with a generous thick layer. Top with a layer of caramel (you can heat it slightly in micro to help it spread easier). Sprinkle with skor bits - as much or as little as you like!


TA DA! Easy as pie. I doubled the recipe for the party and put it in a lasagna baking dish. It was the perfect amount.  

On a sadder note, Canada lost a great athlete yesterday. Eric Lamaze, a Canadian show jumper, lost his trusty stead to a heart attack in Italy. Hickstead, a 15 yr old bay, had a tragic heart attack just after finishing a 13 fence course in Verona. Athletes and fans were devastated by the event and requested the competition to be stopped. Lamaze was planning to take Hickstead with him the London Olympics next summer to defend their individual title.

You can read about the event here:
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canadian+show+jumping+horse+Hickstead+dies+suddenly/5666204/story.html

If you'd like to learn a little bit more about Eric and his horse, check out this video from 2008. He had quite a bad rep a few years ago but has been making an amazing comeback. One of my favourite Canadian athletes.
http://youtu.be/AyFD103Op7g




Hickstead and Lamaze

x
K

No comments:

Post a Comment