Monday, April 9, 2012

Headin’ West

I did it! I bit the bullet and landed a job out west. I’m moving to BC!  Well, temporarily.





I started looking for a job in the new year and was just recently offered a seasonal position working on a riding resort in British Columbia, North of Kamloops. I CANT WAIT! I’ll be leaving in just 2 short weeks and staying on the resort for the duration of my contract – from May to November.

I can’t believe I finally get to go and do what I’ve always wanted! It’ll be hard to leave family and friends again, especially since it feels like I just returned home. But at least I’m in the same country this time! Turns out its much bigger than it looks though…

The drive from Toronto to Kamloops is 4283 km. That’s… like… really far! If I drive 9 hrs a day, at 100 km an hr… that’s…


Map picture

9hrs x 100km = 900 km

then

4283km / 900km day = 4.75 days…

that’s 5 days of driving!!  At 100 km an Hr!  NO STOPS!

But I’m actually looking forward to it and I plan on taking my time. I’ll stop to visit friends and family, see some stunning landscapes and tourist attractions. I’ve wanted to drive across Canada for a few years now, so I’m glad I get the opportunity to go now and enjoy the ride! I had envisioned it differently (like in an RV with a bunch of friends, camping and picnicking in strange parking lots and parks), but I’m sure I’ll still enjoy myself.

I plan on leaving the 23rd and should arrive at the ranch sometime on the 28th.

I hope my car makes it.

I’ve been doing my research lately and have tried to get some tips and pointers on where to stop to
stay and rest but can’t find anything online! Why is there not a blog dedicated to the great Trans
Can?! Cause I’d really appreciate it right about now…
I have a bunch of tourist books and maps from CAA, but they only help so much. And the Trans Canada website is good but I want some real peoples opinions and photos… I guess I’ll just do it myself.

Anyways, just thought I’d post the news! I’ll be updating pretty regularly now. So check in once and a while! I plan on keeping you all up to date with photos from the ranch and stories about my days on and off duty. I hope to get some time off so I can explore the West!
I have a bit of a “To Do/Wish List”
and RIDE RIDE RIDE!!

maybe ill come home with a horse and trailer and BRAND NEW DODGE RAM!! wouldn’t that be great…

3 comments:

  1. what's the resort called again? make sure to always know where the next gas stop is Kelly! also always have a cell phone on you and charged:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you are going to LOVE the trip across the top of the Great Lakes. The scenery is AWESOME. I've done it twice going to Minnesota, you can NOT beat it for great view. Also try Tripadvisor - you might be able to plan a bit...

    Good luck Kell! We'll be following the blog this time since I BM'd it on my main toobar so I won't lose it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm soooo excited and proud of you! Can't wait to hear about all your shenanigans! <3

    ReplyDelete